Thursday, October 22, 2009

where does the time go?

Well things with my dad are stabilized now, but still no date on a new dental surgery and he is finally going to his doctor tomorrow. I am supposed to go but i am sick with the flu and wont be able to make it.... so i will have to do what i can via the phone!

Sam has been quite busy with football and is loving it! It is so great to see him out there running, throwing and catching, and yes..... **gulp** getting tackled! it is so hard to believe that last year this time we were working hard to get his endurance and strength up! he was still walking up and down the drive way in his combat boots (they are very heavy) to build up his legs to help keep the left side from dragging. He was still sleeping lots and going to school parttime, there were still major attitudes and crying jags... a totally different kid (for the most part) than who is here with us now.

It never ceases to amaze me just how awesome God is and what He can and will do for His children. Answered prayers, unsnanswered prayers that when you look back make sense, prayers answered that you never even thought to ask... awesome is all I can say.

Oh ya! Our Isaac went with Sam last week to Air Cadets, just to see if he would enjoy it (which i thought he would since he loves things to be organized and structured). We asked him to just go and see what all cadets were about for a few weeks and then make his decision, but low and behold he came to the van with registration papers stating that he LOVED IT and was joining! I think we will start to see changes in this young man too soon... **sigh** it is so great to see the kids growing up and yet it makes my heart tug a bit and somedays I just want to sit and cry over where the time has gone...

I just read this book by Patricia Jones. She is my step dad's sister and she writes about how she dealt with her mom's dementia and alzhiemers. I found it so enouraging to read as I find alot of it was what I deal with, with my dad. He knows me--sometimes, he is extremely repetitive with "i love you" and a few other choice phrases (but he also tells absolutely EVERYONE that he loves them), he shows extreme anger towards me... the list is endless. I told Pat how the book was helpful to me to know that I am not alone in this and that with TBI (in our case with both dad and Samuel) that there is not much help for us-- dad is considered to be'too far gone' with his TBI and Samuel not enough to warrant help (or so it seems to us...). But her book hit so close to home that at times I had to put it down since tears were so busy clouding my vision that I couldnt read but as soon as I could regain my composure I was back reading it again. I strongly suggest that others read this even if you dont have a loved one or know of anyone that is struggling in any of these areas -- knowledge is power and you never know when you may be called on by God to share what you know!

No comments: