Monday, May 23, 2011

Stand

Lately as I listen to my iPod, I have had a lot of songs really speak to me...
Quite a few of them are Rascal Flatt's songs... Something about this group and their songs really hit home and I am not ashamed to admit that some days they have tears rolling down my face no matter where I am.
This song is so much of what I feel like we are going thru here in our home these days. Not just on the TBI front but on a lot of personal family issues too.
I truly feel like it is Dennis and I against the rest of the world with all that happens in our house, because our family/friends either dont want to see what we are going thru because it is so hard to deal with or they just dont care. Either way, Dennis and I will continue to 'Stand'  thru it all and where ever it is that God is taking us on this journey we will do it together... regardless of who is with us.

I have been trying hard the last few  months to get the word about BI's out there and I sometimes hit BIG.
BRICK.
WALLS.
But I start again and do what I can. I hope I can get people more motivated to learn more about brain injuries and the amazing stories that lots of survivors HAVE BEEN and ARE GOING thru! They are truly heroes in my eyes. The blogs,books and stories I read of survivors and caregivers makes me cry when I hear how they struggle with public perceptions and lack of help -- especially for survivors like Samuel and Dennis who 'look fine'. I know how they feel and what they are going through.
I do find tho that for me there is a difference that is unique -- where they have one person to look out for... and I have 3. I know I dont physically look after dad -- but I am the first 'go to' person for the care home to call. I am there visiting almost every Thursday and try to make the visit as cheery as possible and deal with whatever is necessary.
I also am aware that I dont have to 'look after' Dennis but we do have some issues that I struggle with and have trouble talking with him about because I am unsure of how to deal with it.
WIth Sam I am the first 'go to' person also and I have some problems with some of the stuff and cant go to Dennis because it is too much like his own issues and I cant always deal with 2 of them at the same time...
So I listen to my music...
cry...
and write on here and the odd time I post it...
Other times I just put on my big gurl panties and get thru it...


"Stand"
By Rascal Flatts




You feel like a candle in a hurricane
Just like a picture with a broken frame
Alone and helpless
Like you've lost your fight
But you'll be alright, you'll be alright

[Chorus:]
Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad you get strong
Wipe your hands shake it off
Then you Stand, Then you stand
Life's like a novel
With the end ripped out
The edge of a canyon
With only one way down
Take what you're given before its gone
Start holding on, keep holding on

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend till you break
Cause it's all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you stand, then you stand

Everytime you get up
And get back in the race
One more small piece of you
Starts to fall into place
Oh

No comments: