Saturday, October 8, 2011

coming clean

I finally told my dad about Sam’s brain injury. I didnt go into details, just generalities and it felt so good to tell him. I told him that why we are not always able to be visiting him (appointments) but we want to be able to more. I told him about Sam and the epilepsy and I asked if he know what it meant for him to have seizures and he said ‘he shakes’...
It was such a relief for me to tell daddy about it. I would start to feel sick at even the thot of going to see him because the whole visit was  pins and needles about  what to talk about. I would start to tell him about my week (which usually entails doctor visits, trips to Wpg, etc) and then I would have to stop myself in mid sentence or thot. I was a wreck when it would come time to see him. I hated not being able to be honest about things, but I thot that it was for the best. I dont know how much of anything he understands and comprehends. I dont want him to be worrying about what is happening in our lives and with me. I dont want him stressing out that things are the way they are. 
But last week as I sat with dad watching tv on our usual Thursday night dates. I looked over and just told him. I just gave him very brief story that Sam has a brain injury like him, but  is doing great, except for the epilepsy, but even that is under control. I explained about appoints we go to and things we do, but I did not explain the extent of Sam’s injury or how it happened. I dont think he needs to know all of that! 
After I explained things to him and made sure he understood I told him that it felt good for him to know and he looked at me and said “i love you”... for dad it is a typical response for a lot of things but this time I will pretend that he fully understood what I told him and he genuinely felt that was what he HAD to tell me then. I told him I loved him too and I missed our talks. He smiled and said “i love you”... 
I dont know if it was the right thing to do... but I dont know if I know the right thing to do with a lot of things these days. All I am doing now is what I feel is right at that time.
And it felt right...

No comments: