Friday, June 1, 2012

Just a distraction

WOW...

W.
O.
W.

I am shocked at how fast the bracelets are leaving my house! I have mailed or given out ALL the bracelets that I have recieved from the MBIA(Manitoba Brain Injury Association)... again! SO I am hpoing they will order more as I have  MORE places that want them!

This campaign has been a good distraction for me. Something different to put my energy (when I have it) into. I have needed to do something for the past 4 years that is for me and I guess this is it.
It is for me in the regards that from my perspective, getting more awareness out about TBI will help someone family, wife, son, daughter, mother, someone, somewhere - if we can get BI more publicly recognized and not so "oh-there-is-nothing-wrong-everything-is-rainbows-and-skittles" kind of attitude that not only does NOT help the survivor OR the caregiving family -- but it makes it hard for other people to know how, when or where to help.
I am not saying I have all the answers but I am willing to put my neck out there and try a few things out to see if they work. I am wiling to be the one to make some changes or suggests some ideas.
I have been busy on FB and Twitter with asking for support - and the bracelets are FLYING from our house! (almost 1000 of them in 2 weeks!) I have been on the phone with professional sports teams, sports commentators, news stations, talking with friends, families of survivors, caregivers, SURVIVORS!
I put bracelets out (with a donation box) in 14businesses in and around our area. I have had to refill baskets a few times. The bracelets are FREE but if people wish to make a donation the money will go to the MBIA and hopefully we can use it to get better awareness out there and maybe work on a campaign for 2013!?

The distraction that I have needed these past few weeks is from Sam. Dont get me wrong I am NOT ignoring him or leaving him high and dry. He is always with me (never really far) but ALWAYS with me. He is having issues with this and so am I. We are together too much right now, but there is nowhere else for him to be. Family memebers dont really get it, it seems (and they all have their own worries) and Sam doesnt want to be with them ... catch .22 . We are still looking for help and we may have found it.
On Monday morning we are going to Brandon to the Child and Adolescent Treatment Centre. Sam says he wants to go and that is good because since he is 16, he has to admit himself. Usually they dont take brain injury patients but once I explained our situation and that with all the meds he is on we are struggling, they made an exception. SO hopefully he will go and stay and WORK with the staff. We have spoken to him about it - that is will not be a magical fix, it is going to behard work, that he has to TRY and not give up, that he and WE all need help. He says he agrees ... but in reality he always says that and then he takes 2-3 steps back.
Monoday will be hard. I know he needs to go and it will be a break for all of us and there will hopefully be the help that we desperately need... but still...
I am a mom, Sam's mom and I worry. What if they lose him  like the school did? What if he quits it all on us? What if this is our last resort - which is odd because in actuality there never was a first resort...?
I am preparing myself for this as much as we are preparing him. We have told Josh about it but not Isaac and Hannah so not to add more worry and stress on them, but also so that if Ike and Sam get into a fight before he goes Isaac cant 'get Sam's goat' by saying something that will make him not want to go to Brandon.

pray for us all please...

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Sam will do FINE...a person told me once to never speak words that could turn into a negative for example "behave yourself" (the person may think you've automatically assumed they won't behave... so why behave?)
I would "pump" the place up, say how exciting and venturous its going to be and for him to have a wonderful time!
If Sam decides to quit thats his choice...it doesn't mean he has gone backwards. if later he goes back - thats awesome. If you find another place thats awesome. Everything is a step. You need to put some trust in others.
The time away will do you both good. It doesn't mean you love him any less.