Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Unsung Hero

I found this post in my drafts folder! It was started last year -- things must have gotten busy and I forgot to finish and post it! So here it is...



These are a couple of heroes we have encountered at our BI support meetings. Charlie and Peggy...
Charlie is a BI survivor and  Peggy, his wife, is (in her words) the Surviving Caregiver.
This wonderful couple seems to have taken a shine to our Sam and he to them. They are our extended family now.
Charlie was driving a truck that was hit by a train and survived.  Charlie is one of the main reasons that Sam goes to the meetings, I think because  for one, Charlie is in the same boat as Sam. They are both miraculous survivors of accidents that typically people dont make such amazing recoveries with. They both are walking miracles and are living with the reality of "well-you-look-fine-what-do-you-mean-you-have-a-brain-injury" mentality of the public. Reason number two is that Charlie can make Sam smile no matter what his day has been like.

Peggy is SO amazing too! She has been through so much with not only Charlie and his recovery but with all that life throws at you! (she was also a careigver to multiple people, like me!) I so enjoy geting texts and FB links from Peggy -- she always manages to make me smile too, no matter what my day is like. She is a busy lady looking after her hubby, mother in law, cooking, gardening .... life. We try to get together with them at times other than just at BI meetings and there IS a dream for Peggy and I (and another BI caregiver friend) to get away for a weekend 'just us girls' ... but so far we are all too busy to get away! LOL

Both Peggy and Charlie are big advocators for Brain Injury Awareness, volunteering with P.A.R.T.Y programs in the area, helping with the BI walk that our group held in June, getting bracelets out to people, WEARING  bracelets!!! I honestly dont know where I would be the last few years without Peggy and Charlie in our lives to be friends to talk with about Sam and where we are in life! So I just wanted to take some time and some blogging space inthe universe to hold these two amazing people up and let the world see some amazing Survivors and Caregivers who make a BIG difference in lives!!

Thank you Peggy and Charlie!! We love you and you are our heroes!!! 
xoxo

No comments: