Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Clarification

I thought today I would post the entire TRUE story about Sam's accident. I was talking with someone the other day and was informed that they had an entirely different "take" on the accident. Then looking back through the posts i saw that I hadn't posted the story as we finally learned it to be! First we thought that Sam had been practicing Air Cadet manuvres and had the gun over his head.
We eventually learned from BOTH Josh and Sam what had actually happened. Here it is:

Josh and Sam were going out to 'clean up' the birds from the barn for Grandpa (and for some moving target practice I am sure!) Sam was using a .22 caliber rifle that was new to him in the respect that it had a scope on it. Sam had learned how to shoot a gun with both eyes open and to use the barrel of your gun to line up your target. There was a bird in Sam's sights and he loaded and cocked his gun to shoot it. As he brought up the .22 to aim and probably misjudged the distance of the gun (since he was not used to shooting one with a scope) and it hit his head and dazed him. This dazing would have resulted in him dropping the gun (possibly hands going numb) and as it hit the ground it discharged at the same time as Samuel fell over from being dazed... thus being shot in the head with the .22. When Josh saw this he ran for the house to get the grandparents and Sam then GOT UP, picked up his gun, carried it in a safe 'travel' manner and proceeded to walk to the house. Grandma and Grandpa met Sam at the door and took him in to clean him up (at this point no one knew he had been shot-- they thought he had been hit in the head with the scope of the gun) When Grandpa stared to clean him up he knew what had happened and he got everyone to the car and rushed to the hospital. Sam was conscience the ride there (but he doesn't remember it) and it was after he was in the hospital that he became paralyzed on the left side.
During this time I was called by Dennis to say that Sam was at the hospital and could i pick him up (still thinking hit by scope) and I got there in time to see them wheeling him out of xray with Grandpa. When I got to them both Sam was covered in blood and he looked up to me and said in a slow garbled way "I hurt my head mom". I was shocked to say the least and the rest of that day is a blur. I do remember calling my friend to see if she could come and get Hannah and Ike since we thought we were going to Brandon, and I think she called Pastor Dean. I know called Dennis and told him that they were going to be taking Sam to Brandon ... i made a few other calls to my mom and to my friend again and then everyone was there. The kids were all crying, our Dr. was reassuring me that things were going to be ok and Dennis and I were on our way to get teh car filled with gas before heading out to Winnipeg.
I know that God interceded for the ride to Wpg. I kept thinking that it was just a concussion and told Dennis to phone his boss since they were going to probably keep him in over night for observation and it wasn't until we got to Headingly that things started to fall into place for me. By the time we hit the perimeter the penny dropped and I understood that Sam was shot in the head and we had to get to the Children's Hosp. RIGHT NOW!
We had a great surgeon that not only spoke to us about what to expect with Sam after the surgery, but he took time to talk to Sam and find out what all he was 'into' and he spoke with him for a bit. Sam was in surgery for alot longer than what they were anticipating but they had alot of cleaning up of the wound to do. But he was out that night and Dennis and I spent those hours sitting in the waiting room with Pastor Dean and Pam (his wife) watching a silent t.v. and tryig to not focus on what the doctor had told us to possibly expect. (I wont go into those expectations-- it suffices to say that it was not going to be an easy row to hoe).
Sam was moved to PICU and for then following few days he was in and out of it -- naturally, as they didnt want to medicate him too much so they could get true brain readings. But when he was 'awake' he would sign to us "I love you" and a thumbs up for "I'm ok". It was in PICU that we discovered his apnea... which we are still having to deal with.
By Friday of that week Sam was moved to a regular ward and was well on his way to recovery.. and the rest is HIS-story...

No comments: